Delay in the Cashier’s Office

Wrapped around the corner of the cashier’s office building, dozens of students waited in line to pay for their spring semester fees Tuesday.

Even with five to six windows open, the estimated waiting time was about an hour at minimum.

“If you start from the back of the line, the wait could be about an hour,” Cadet Emmanuel Ramirez, 26, Administration of Justice major, who was overseeing the line, said.

Despite paying for other fees online or by mail, students must still wait in line to pick up parking passes at the cashier’s office window.

“I’m buying my parking permit. I’ve been waiting for about 45 minutes. You can pay for it online, you just have to get it in person,” Eddie Chow, Economics major, said.

The main purchases for students in the cashier’s office line are parking passes, which cost $35 for regular students, and $20 for financial aid students.

“I’d say to come before 8 a.m. they open about three to four windows and by that time, the line is usually just by the third pillar,” Ramirez said.

Adding to the nuisance of Tuesday’s delay were computer problems that did not seem to alleviate the congestion in the building.

“I overheard a lady behind the window say the computers were running slower than usual,” Jessica Rusnanto, 18, Chemical Engineering major, said.

The cashier’s office staff declined to comment on the situation.

Temporary hours of operation for the beginning of the spring semester will be from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m Friday. The office will also be closed Monday for President’s Day.

To assure students who haven’t paid for their spring fees yet, Ramirez said, “[the line] usually dies down a little after Wedneday or Thursday.”

[nggallery id=4]