NFL bullying: There is a time and place for every behavior

With bullying remaining one of the biggest issues in America today, it has seemingly made its way to the front porch of the NFL, or has it?

NFL locker rooms are not your typical work environment. It does not consist of people who speak in a respectful manner to one another, people who sensitive to others emotions, and most importantly, it is not a place where people filter their feelings and emotions.

The Miami Dolphins have been in the news for the past couple of weeks because of one player bullying another (Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin). Incognito was suspended by the NFL for harassment and bullying that Martin feels was far more excessive than the traditional hazing that goes on in just about all NFL locker rooms.

NFL locker rooms, for years, have been an environment for the physically strong and mentally strong players. Rookies are far more subjected to this form of hazing because they are the new guy on the team who need to prove themselves physically and mentally strong. Similar to how military sergeant gets new recruits and they whip them into shape by saying words that may ruffle ones feathers and try to get under their skin to see if they are really cut out for the job.

The language NFL players use with one another is just common talk. It is protocol and normal. Jonathan Martin is not the only person who has to go through this treatment. In fact a long list of players have gone through this particular treatment and have turned out fine.

Bullying is one of Americas most important issues for whatever reason, however, it is almost always an issue between kids not adults.

Jonathan Martin is the same size as Richie Incognito. I cant understand how a grown man who plays and aggressive sport can’t stand up for himself. He was not being bullied, it was more like he was not mentally cut out for the NFL.

Although, I do feel that Incognito should have not said any racial slurs to Martin, however, this may be they way that they communicate with each other like Incognito was reported saying.

Martin was not bullied, but was involved in traditional NFL hazing.

He was looking for a way out and crying “I’m being bullied” was his scapegoat.