No manners with championship banners?

The Clippers head coach Doc Rivers made headlines last week after he asked the Staples Center if he could cover all Laker banners during Clipper home games this year.

But, covering up Laker banners in Los Angles is almost scarilegious. The tradition of the purple and gold is that of excellence and greatness. Which is represented by it’s 9 player jerseys retired, and 16 NBA championships (6 in Minneapolis, 11 in Los Angeles).

The legacy of the Lakers should be upheld whenever someone comes to any sporting event or concert in Staples Center.

It’s understandable that Rivers wants to create a home-court atmosphere when fans and opposing teams come to watch the Clippers at Staples. It’s like going to your boyfriend’s/girlfriend’s house and checking out their brother’s/sister’s pictures and saying,”damn who’s that”.

Seeing Laker banners will just the huge gap there once was between the in-city rivals. Clippers fans don’t want to be reminded of nightmares of being in lottery draft every year, while the Lakers were competing for championships.

The Clippers moved to Los Angeles in 1984 from San Diego. The Lakers moved from Minneapolis to Los Angeles in 1960. If the Clippers really want to create the best home-court enviroment they should moved to another arena/stadium or even better, move to another city. The Lakers and Clippers aren’t the only teams in the four major Northern-American sports leagues to play in the same city. New York has two 2 NFL teams (Giants, Jets), 2 NHL teams (Islanders, Rangers), and 2 MLB teams (Mets, Yankees). All these teams play in different arenas.

The bottom line: the Lakers where here first, and covering up the banners would be disrepectful to some the greatest players in NBA history.