Commentary: NFL football wasn’t designed for playing nice

The NFL for years has been known for its hard hitting, physical play, but now has some players and fans believing that the very game they love and cherish is becoming soft.

Since the beginning of time, barbaric sports such as football have captured the appeal of many people across the world. A sport where any given Sunday a player can end up in the hospital with broken limbs, internal bleeding, or diagnosed with a concussion.
I’ll admit, I am the fan who gets really excited from a long ball reception, a “pick 6”, or even a kick return for a touchdown, but what I really love is a hellacious tackle in which the opposing players helmet pops off. An absolute hit of obliteration on another player that would leave him laid out and needing some medical attention. A hit that is so hard, you subconsciously feel it. A hit of that particular magnitude almost always warrants NFL referees to reach for their yellow penalty flag to throw because it is against the new hitting rules.

Yes, these players are suffering from long term brain damage and it’s unfortunate, however, don’t these players know what they’re getting themselves into when they sign up to become football player? Sure they do. They knew long before they became football players who were receiving a check for their performance.
How do you tell a boxer not to punch for his opponent’s head? That would take away the essence of boxing.

Frankly, the sport of football has changed for the worst. The teeth rattling hit you will see in football these days are accompanied by a penalty flag, which slows the game down, and a hefty fine from the commissioner to the player who administered the hit. What happened to giving the fans what they want and paid for? No one wants to see a soft a hit, and if so, maybe a golf is a better sport to watch.