Even a serenity prayer tattoo is still too taboo for some

We live in a society where most people don’t think twice about having their nose shortened, their fat surgically removed, or body hair removed with a laser. There are people who change their hair color from blonde, to red, to blue or green, all on a whim. Here in L.A., you can get breast implants, breast reductions, toe shortenings, spray on tans and teeth whitenings. So with all that in mind, what’s the big deal about having a tattoo?

For those of you who don’t pay much attention to the world of beauty pageants, serious waves were made at the latest “Miss America” beauty pageant when Miss Kansas, Sgt. Theresa Vail, became the first contestant to ever display a tattoo during the pageant. Many people, such as Donald Trump, owner of the Miss Universe Organization, which runs the Miss Universe, Miss USA, and Miss Teen USA pageants, were incensed by Vail’s decision.

Now, to be clear, Vail doesn’t have the “Anarchy” symbol tattooed on her face, or an image of a flaming Hitler in a toga playing a ukelele plastered across her rib cage. Vail, who will be having the United States Army pay her way through dental school, has two modest tattoos; the army dental insignia on one shoulder, and the Serenity Prayer down one side. Obviously they must represent some sort of grudge against authority and conservative thought, or so many seem to react.

To be fair to Trump and those of like mind, the world has changed quite a bit in the last 30 years. The invention of the Internet, the rise of MTV, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the advent of LGBT pride parades are all recent events in the scope of history. In that same time frame, tattoos have changed from the sole providence of criminals, sailors, and rebels, to a fashion statement freely embraced as a sign of individuality and personal creativity.

While it’s only to be expected that there will be outcry from traditionalist elements of previous generations, It’s unlikely that tattoos will be disappearing from our culture any time soon. Television shows like VH1’s “Black Ink Crew” and Spyke’s “Ink Masters” continue to popularize the tattoo in our society. Furthermore, as more and more people adopt tattoos, from modest single images to entire sleeves, the stereotypes about tattoo owners will become more diluted and outdated. Just do yourself a favor, and try to keep them classy; after all, you’ll still have them in another 30 years.