Teachers dating students has an unfair advantage

Fantasizing or crushing over a good-looking teacher might be a norm for some students.

Most students only play around with the idea and joke about it, however, when someone actually starts dating a teacher or better yet, their own teacher, it’s a whole different story.

Why? Only one word: Grading.

According to http://www.nea.org, there are codes of ethics that all teachers should stand by regarding fairness to all students. So if there is a bias with a teacher-student relationship, other students won’t have the fair advantage of equality in the classroom.

Nonetheless, in college, most students are of the legal age to date whomever they want , regardless of age. The argument isn’t whether or not an adult has the right to pursue a relationship with another adult but is solely regarding the situation of professionalism.

“I don’t think those relationships are good because it’s not fair to the other students in the class if there’s one student in a closer relationship to the teacher, giving them extra points or whatever,” Isiah Simon, 18, film major said.

If it is an unfair advantage for a student to be graded by a relative or loved one who is their teacher, wouldn’t it still be unfair or unethical to date a professor who has the power to pass or fail a student?

Ta’Keem Johnson, 18, undeclared major, thinks it’s crazy to have a student-teacher relationship and says that the student just “needs to study hard to get the good grade.”

Many students have mixed feelings about having a relationship with a professor beyond being a mentor.

Rebecca Bangura, 20, nursing, joked about dating a professor for an A if he was hot and attractive but said “If it’s in college there’s nothing wrong.”

The problem isn’t being a professor and dating someone who happens to go to the college, it is a problem to date a student in which a professor gives their significant other an unfair advantage when it comes to a grading period.

It is inappropriate for a student and a teacher to date when the teacher has power over the students grade. It is best to show a professional side as a professor when the position of power can jeopardize due to a relationship.

Octavio Acosta, 22, culinary arts said its human nature to have an attraction but it shouldn’t affect the grading process.