This holiday season, take some time for self-reflection

As the holidays approach, a merry anticipation starts to gather in the spirits of many of us. Festive wreaths decorate the doors of our neighbors, television sets display holiday commercials and an air of cheer and friendliness starts to fill the hearts of, well…anyone who has one.

Perhaps this is why giving back to our communities has become a timely tradition this time of year?

Giving back to our communities doesn’t have to be in the form of money. It can be donating your time to an organization or simply tossing in canned foods at the local grocery market’s canned food drive.

Volunteering has many benefits that stem from the time donated of oneself.

Canned food drives support struggling families, individuals and the homeless.

There are more than 51,000 homeless people living in Los Angeles County, with more than 6,000 residing in the South Bay area, according to the South Bay Coalition for the Homeless’ (SBCH) website.

The current unemployment rate is at 10 percent, according to a report issued by the State of California’s employment development department.

A struggling economy and the previous high unemployment rate affected families and individuals resulting in a loss of homes, jobs and a earnings.

Volunteering at food shelters helps feed many of these people in need. Food shelters are located across the South Bay.

The SBCH’s website has a large listing of food shelters with phone numbers and days of meal service for those interested in volunteering their time.

During the Christmas holiday, the Volunteer Center of South Bay, Harbor City, and Long Beach conduct the Adopt-A-Family program. The program allows volunteers to adopt families of any family size and are given the families’ wish list, according to its website.

Volunteering during the holidays has endless benefits. Not only does it provide the feeling of gratification, but it may also help in the long run of meeting many people and developing long lasting relationships.

For the purpose of education, many universities, especially the most prestigious ones, encourage community service and giving back to the community.

Of course, volunteering isn’t about oneself. It’s about an act of unselfishness. And, during the holidays isn’t being unselfish the best trait to have?

Between homework, part-time jobs, relationships and goals for the future, there is little time to think about others. This is exactly the time where thinking of others is the most important task of all.