Campus Corner: Cheerleading

Christopher Jocson

Co-captain

Cheerleading

Christopher Jocson is the co-captain of the EC cheerleading squad. This is his third year on the team.

How many times a week do you practice?

About twice a week and Saturdays as well. Competition season is coming up and we are going to add two more practice days.

What is the competition like?

My first season was amazing, we made it to state nationals. We had a full tumbling squad. Then the year after that, it wasn’t so great. We did one competition, unfortunately we had people drop.

Do you have any big events coming up?

Right now it’s football season, so we do a lot of football games. We cheer on the sidelines, we do halftime shows.

What is your routine?

We have various routines, we  can do sideline routines, we do have halftime routines. Stunts are incorporated group stunts, partner stunts and with pyramids.

What do you want people to know about cheerleading?

It’s definitely not as easy as people think. I’ve been cheering since high school and I wasn’t great at.

Is cheerleading a sport?

I think it’s a sport, but because of women’s rights article 14 it prohibits cheerleading from being a sport. It’s a very controversial issue.

Do you enjoy being on the cheerleading team?

Yes, of course! My favorite part  of cheerleading is the competition season. Being on the spring floor, you have lights on you, there is loud music. Once the music starts, it’s an adrenaline rush. It’s my happy place.

Why do you think people recognize cheerleading?

Maybe because it’s a small community. We do have high expectations not a lot of people know  about us. Our coaches have high standards when we audition  someone.