A zombie apocalypse is a real possibilty

Finally. The Department of Homeland Security has addressed the biggest threat to the American way of life since Dubstep and skinny jeans.

“There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for. Take a zombie apocalypse for example,” according to an article posted on the DHS’ official website.

The article goes on to list preventive measures for a zombie apocalypse and other disasters like having water, food, clothes and medication readily available.

Why President Barack Obama and presidential hopeful Mitt Romney haven’t addressed this issue is baffling.

Healthcare and taxes? Zombies. Foreign policy and the national deficit? Zombies!

With bath salts and face-chewing incidents coming to national attention recently and AMC’s hit series “The Walking Dead” returning for its third-season on Oct. 14, zombies are on the tip of America’s teeth.

The truth is that most of the time nobody listens to precautions unless there’s a gimmick. Compared to the rest of the world, Americans have it good with things like iPhones, giant televisions and Netflix.

Perhaps the American dream is the haze of denial we carry with us in our daily lives. Life is fragile.

It’s not exactly fun to think about scenarios in which our lives could drastically change for the worst in a day, unless of course you’re hypothetically strategizing for a zombie showdown.

Where would you get your water? How long would the food in your house last you? Would the freeways even be an option for evacuation, or would they be deadlocked in traffic?

Maybe the whole undead uprising idea is ridiculous, but anything can happen in this life.

For Californians a devastating earthquake is a very real possibility.

A terrorist attack is a possibility.

If some silly zombie-talk is what it takes for people to take a second and think about survival situations, it’s definitely worth the eye-rolls.

There are natural disasters and human tragedies every day around the world, it would be silly not to have thought about survival before the situation arises.

While life may seem secure with all this technology and convenience cushioning us from the harsh realities that life sometimes deals out, being prepared can only make us more comfortable.

So, whether it’s Mother Nature, the tides of politics or hoards of flesh-depraved undead, having a fallback plan can save your life.