A promise leads to new experiences

Looking back on my time on the paper, I can’t help but think of how I wouldn’t  have gone through this amazing experience if it weren’t for my dad.

I remember how thrilled I was to enroll in Journalism 1, News Writing and Reporting, and telling him that I was finally taking the first step toward being part of the campus newspaper.

We talked about when the time came, he would read the newspaper every issue and watch me grow into the journalist that I’ve always wanted to become and that he would be there to support me along the way.

Unfortunately, that time never came as he died just two days after the start of the spring 2010 semester.

While I wanted to drop my classes to grieve the loss of the most important man in my life, I knew I couldn’t as I had promised him that I would continue pursuing my dreams of becoming a journalist.

I’ve stayed focused, worked hard and here I am now in my second year as part of the journalism department and as the editor-in-chief for the second time.

If it weren’t for that promise, I wouldn’t have managed 18 issues as EIC, written dozens of stories and created memories that to this day, bring a smile to my face.

I also would have never met two of the most amazing, funny and incredibly talented women at EC, Lori Medigovich and Kate McLaughlin.  They have encouraged me and inspired me to reach my full potential, and I feel  honored to not only call them my advisers, but my mentors.

It’s been an honor and a privilege to have worked with them closely these past four semesters as I have learned a lot.  So thank you both!

I’d also like to thank the editors. We started off with seven and dwindled down to four, but through it all, we managed to put out a great looking newspaper.

I’d also like to thank the staff writers for their hard work and dedication.

This has been quite an experience, one that I’ll never forget.

I can honestly say that my time here has not only made me into a better writer, but a better person as well.