Journalism is more than just writing – Editor’s Note

Begging my parents to allow me to stay up past my bedtime to watch the 10 o’clock news is something I would do every school night. Getting up early on Sunday morning and running to the front porch in my socks in order to be the first in the house to grab the newspaper was my weekly routine.

And giving an oral report in grade school on why I wanted to be just like Barbara Walters was something I did and all for the love I have for the journalism profession.

I always knew I was one of the lucky people to know what they wanted to do with their life at such an early age. To this day, when people ask what my major is and I say journalism, I can automatically feel the smile on my  face. Little do they know that this is something that I have wanted since I was 6 years old.

Now in my third semester on the Union publication, I am the editor-in-chief. Never did I imagine to be the editor of this award-winning publication. I still remember how excited I was to finally be involved in the journalism department at EC and looking at the editor-in-chief then, and thinking myself, “How can I get to her position one day?”

Sure, I have learned things that are essential to becoming a journalist. I learned what I needed to make my writing stronger, but I also learned how to become a leader.

I also learned that the saying which I live by applies to everything: In order to be successful and do well, one cannot question themselves and must believe in the work that they produce.

This semester hasn’t been the easiest. Week after week, it seemed as if there was one less writer, photographer or editor. But through it all, this amazing staff was able to put out a solid newspaper each week.  It’s really amazing how they manage a full set of classes, work and dedicate so much time to the paper. So I would like to thank everyone for their hard work and dedication.

I also want to thank my advisers, Lori Medigovich and Kate McLaughlin. I am very lucky to have such amazing women in the journalism profession to look up to. If it weren’t for their support and encouragement, students like myself would let great opportunities pass them by.

I have had a wonderful experience on the Union  publication, and although I have found myself tired and writing dozens of stories, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Viridiana Vaca-Rios is a journalism major. She plans to transfer to either Cal State Fullerton or Cal State Long Beach where she will obtain her degree in journalism and broadcasting.