Up for Debate: Can students live without their digital devices? Yes

College students are constantly on the move. To keep up with their busy, bustling life styles, these students have to learn how to mulit-task, there is simply no other choice.

Thanks to digital devices like the Blackberry, iPhones and personal laptops, college students can stay up to date on entertainment, news and even their own circle of friends. Unfortunately, as always, too much of a good thing can end up being a bad thing. Because it is so much easier to stay connected to everything and everyone, college students have become lazy, self-centered and just plain annoying.

Once upon a time, we lived without the aid of technology and things still got done on time. Living without these digital devices would actually prove beneficial for current and future college students.

Most college students would argue that their personal digital devices are essential for completing their day-to-day tasks.  Schedules, homework and contacts are all available to them instantly on their new smart phones or high tech laptops. If for some reason, any of these digital devices stop working or are stolen, what then?  What is frightening to me is that most students would go into crisis mode and turn into helpless babies.

Somehow, weekly planners, notebooks and address and phone books have vanished and there is no way to get anything done! This is simply preposterous. Sure, technology is very useful and helps us complete tasks at faster rates, but all of these things can still be done the old fashioned way. Homework most times is still accepted hand written if not, there really is no need to run out and buy an expensive laptop, colleges provide desktop computers forstudents to use when they need them.

Research can still be done with the help of a professional librarian at your college’s library and most professors require at least a few book sources for research papers anyway. And whatever happened to landlines? Does anyone use them anymore? Besides there really isn’t a need for that either, face-to-face interactions are much more meaningful than the generic, “sup,” text message. To be honest, having a class period without interruption of vibrating phones or text message jingles could be a real blessing.

Life shouldn’t come to a halt because you have no Internet connection or your phone died. We can live without the constant aid of technology; we just have to remember how.