Up for Debate: Are online college courses effective? Yes

Online courses can be just as effective as classroom learning. It offers more variety and time, which can be essential for the 21st century learner.

In the traditional classroom setting, a student can sit  and never contribute or participate in a discussions and still get an A if he or she passes all tests.  In the virtual classroom you can’t blend in, discussions are mandatory and you have to think for yourself. Online courses are more demanding.

The courses require you to be self driven and more critical of your work. As a working student, it allows one to be more flexible and not have to be tied down to a schedule.  The online programs have schedules, but the flexibility of your time allows the student to work, be home for the family and do your day-to- day task.

Traditional classroom classes run at least 3 weeks shorter, but it’s an all-day task.  If it weren’t for online courses, going back to school for the working adult would not be an option.

A well-designed online course provides opportunities for student interaction through discussion groups with pre-determined discussions questions and group assignments. Online learning has definite advantages over face to face instruction when it comes to teaching and learning, according to a New Meta analysis released by the U.S. Department of Education in 2009.

The study found that students who took all or part of their instruction online performed better, on average, than those taking the same course through face-to- face instruction.

The study found that those who took blended courses, a course that combines elements of online learning and face to face instruction, did even better, EC offer these type of courses. They’re called hybrid courses and students who do them seem to do well. Online courses do better not because of technology, but because of time.

Studies proved that learners in the online classes spent more time on tasks than students in the classroom. Online learning is much more conducive to the expansion of learning time than is face to face instruction, it is also cost effective in school districts and colleges nationwide as proven in studies.

It appears that a student’s concentration level is higher when studying online than in a traditional classroom, so let’s not fight technology and expand our minds online.