Campus Corner: Salsa Club

Anthony Ramos is the president of the Salsa Club. With 60 to 70 active members, the club meets in the South P.E. Building, Room 233 every Tuesday from 7 to 9 p. m.

What responsibilities do you have as the president?
I manage and promote the Salsa Club. I come up with choreography, I’m responsible for what goes on in the club and everyone’s behavior within the club.

What are the requirements to join the club?
There aren’t any specific requirements.  No dance background is needed and anyone who is an EC student is welcome to join.

What kind of music do you dance salsa to?
We dance salsa to whatever the members feel like, but we mostly listen to Flamenco and Bachata, which is a style of music from the Dominican Republic.

What goes on during a club meeting?
We begin with warm-up steps, we also make sure to stretch before dancing.  After that, we go through basic steps and small combination steps.  After we dance, I will lecture for a bit and just let the club know about certain promotions or upcoming festivals.

Are their any events coming up?
No. We are just practicing every week for a competition in April where we plan on performing and hopefully competing in the College Salsa Congress.

What are the clubs goals for this year?
Right now we’re just trying to promote the club as much as possible.  We’re also teaching our newer members basic salsa fundamentals so that we are ready to hopefully compete in April in the College Salsa Congress.

Are there any perks in being in the Salsa Club?
Our club is sponsored by Very Fine Dance Shoes and all of our members get 50 percent off all dance shoes, which is great.  We also have an alliance with the Salsa clubs at Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Long Beach, which is always good for networking with other salsa dancers.