Campus Corner: Writing Club

Laura Welsh is the adviser of the writing club. With 33 active members, the club meets in the Humanities Building, Room 307 every other Tuesday from 1 to 1:50 p.m.

Who is the president?
We don’t really have a president or a vice president. There are four students who are basically in control. Their names are Khloe Gross, Julia Fleming, Michael Trinidid, and Gabriel Villareal.

Why have you chosen to be the adviser for the writing club?
Because they asked me to and I could not let them down. A lot of the memebers were in my English 1B course.

How does the club contribute to the campus and the community?
There are a lot of creative stuents and this club is an outlet for them. It is a place where they can share their interests and ideas.

When was the writing club founded?
I believe this is the first year EC has a writing club.

Does the writing club have any upcoming events?
Yes. Most of the members are taking part in a writing competition. They are asked to write an entire novel in one month.

What are the requirements to join the club?
Students must have interest in creative writing and be ready to come up with all sorts of different writing activities.

What goes on in the club meetings?
Every meeting all the members come up with a writing activity and start writing a story. Everyone helps out by saying a line or two.

What kind of members join your club?
A lot of enthusiastic students who are extremely creative with many writing ideas. Most of them are English majors.

Why should students who enjoy writing join the club?
Students get constructive, supportive critique on current writing activities in a safe environment from a qualified adviser and from fellow group members, regardless of what type of genre the writing activity is.