Don’t stress out transferees, we’re in the same boat

Ever feel like you might not get into the university of your dreams? It’ll be fine, don’t stress out. Most of America didn’t.

According to cbsnews.com, Alice Taylor, one of the most talented and famous writers in America, kept and framed her rejection letter from Stanford for decades after she was a literary icon.

Also, Richard Nixon, Norman Lear, Bill Safire, Jimmy Kimmel, Bill Buckley and others didn’t go to a prestigious school  and look at them now.

I can’t believe it’s time to apply to universities already. A lot of students get stressed out after applying because of that fear of rejection from the “university of their dreams.” Feeling the pressure from their parents, friends and counselors can be extremely tough.

Students work very hard in college so they can get accepted to a good university. However, what if we don’t get accepted? What if we end up with our second, third or even fourth choice? What will my parents think? What if my friends get accepted and I don’t? What will they think of me? It can be a disappointment to many students and some may never get over it.

I’ve been asking myself these questions for the past two weeks prior to submitting my application yesterday. But I am glad to say that I have come to a realization.

Trying our best to get accepted into our dream school isn’t that simple. In fact, it’s very difficult. Students are having existential crises and nervous breakdowns left and right. They’re applying for scholarships or jobs, all while stressing out about getting their work done on time.

Now they are left with no free time on their hands; debating  whether they have taken too many classes and if they are able to drop one and still transfer on time, and sweet God, the stress students are going through is overwhelming! No wonder half the students drink their guts out when they finally get the chance — how could they not?

We may also drive ourselves crazy hearing about what other EC students are doing with their lives. Your friend has a higher GPA than you, or got their personal statement proof read by a professional, or has now got some connection that will guarantee them admission. But look, here’s the secret: those EC students aren’t you. You are you. We shouldn’t be focusing so much on our first choices. Instead, we must widen our eyes to keep our options open.     My mother once told me that there is a place for everyone and we must relax and think of moving to a new place as a journey and not a race to be won, but a home to be found. It’s the same concept, since whatever school we get into will eventually turn into our home.

I admit that I am a worrier too, I wasn’t immune to all this stress as the day of applying came along. However, I now remain stressed about plenty of other stuff.

Now, I’m not trying to impart some important piece of wisdom that I’ve somehow unlocked.

But after my short epiphany, I realized a good way to be happy and accept whatever school I get into is not to think so much about what everyone else expects of you.       That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t expect big things of yourself; it means you should make sure these expectations are your own.

Another issue I have realized is that no name on any diploma can mean as much as using what we have  learned in college and what we got in ourselves from day one and using it with extreme focus, flexibility and inner mobility.

University is not just about getting a degree, although that is the point. It is also about going somewhere where you will meet life-long friends and become the person you will be for the rest of your life. I know this sounds cheesy, but it’s true.