Should students receive priority registration? Yes

To be involved in student activities such as athletics, priority registration is essential to a student’s success and performance throughout the semester.

As community colleges get impacted with more students than classes allow each semester, it is only logical for students who have been on campus the longest, to receive priority registration. 

Unless you have been a student for a number of years you don’t deserve priority registration for just going to class.

Just like one wouldn’t expect to start off at a job and move up the ladder of success before someone who has been there years longer, why should things be different here on campus?

This is what we call seniority.

Besides those students who have been here continuously for years, some students who receive priority registration are students involved in campus clubs, the athletics department and the Associated Student Organization (ASO).

With athletes, priority registration allows them to build their schedule around their activities. It’s more beneficial to build around the sport.

This can also boost student morale. If athletes are allowed to get into their classes first it will allow them to practice, which could help them develop their skills and win games. Just as we take pride in Los Angeles when the Lakers win, students should feel happy about the school they attend and by winning games it could help create pride.

Priority registration is not meant for the average student, it is for those students who really need it due to their involvement in clubs or campus activities or those who have been here the longest.

Many will argue that it is very unfair and that they pay for classes just like everyone else; however, no one is cheating you out of an education, you might just have to wait longer for a specific class.

Even though most students on campus think that everyone should have equal opportunities at getting into classes or that priority registration shows some kind of exclusivity, it is a small benefit for all the  dedication that involved students put in.

For students that are involved in campus activities, priority registration is an important tool for their success. 

If you work hard, you should benefit from being involved.           

Being in college classes classes is difficult as it is, add the time that is spent in class and put in to campus activities and you have more than the average student has.