Campus Forum-Peter Malufau is the president of the South Pacific Islanders Club.

What is The South Pacific Islanders Club?
The South Pacific Islander club is an organization made up of many cultures, not only South Pacific Islanders, established to raise cultural awareness, promote higher education and restore our culture and our roots.

Are there any upcoming events?
We are competing in a dance competition at San Diego State University this Saturday. Each school competes in cultural dancing. There are also language, singing and drumming competitions.

How do you join?
All are welcome. There are no requirements.

Why should students join your club?
Students should join because we are open and welcoming to all cultures. We’re respectful of people’s time and don’t drag our meetings on for too long. We’re active within surrounding communities and we have great networks with different CSUs and UCs.

Where do you meet and what goes on during a meeting?
We meet the second and fourth Monday of every month in the Humanities Building, Room 107 from 3 to 4 p.m. We discuss businesses that deal with the organization known as Empowering Pacific Islander Communities or EPIC. We plan fundraisers and discuss different programs to adopt to tutor high school students. We are also still contributing to disaster relief for those affected by the recent Tsunami in Samoa.

How does your club impact our campus?
We educate our campus on the diverse culture of South Pacific Islanders in hopes of eliminating stereotypes. There is more to our culture than having flower print seat covers in our cars and wearing flowers in our hair. We have club members representing Samoa, Tonga, Tahiti, Fiji, Hawaii and New Zealand and each have unique differences.

What is something unique about your club?
All of the South Pacific Islands in the South Pacific are represented in our club. You don’t have that in most clubs. Also, a majority of our club speaks the language of the country their families are from. Being in America, especially L.A., where there is already a unique culture, to be able to be in touch with your roots is very powerful.

What are your personal thoughts on the club?
I’m happy to say we have a strong board of officers. We set big goals for ourselves and everyone trusts each other. And our club advisor Sarah DiFiori is awesome.