Campus Forum-Chris Pham is president of the Alpha Gamma Sigma club.

What is AGS?
Alpha Gamma Sigma is an honors society and club that focuses on academics as well as scholarships and volunteer opportunities.ÿ We base our organization on three C’s: club, campus and community.ÿThe club aspect is participation within our club like attending meetings.ÿThe campus aspect involves helping out on campus like the blood drive or the new student orientation.ÿ And the community aspect is involvement with churches and temples.
ÿ
Why should students join your club?
It’s a great way to beef up your resume, meet great people and show that you’re something else.ÿ

How do you join?
New members must fill out an application which can be picked up in the Activities Center office next to the club boxes. New members must have a 3.0 GPA to join or a 3.5 GPA if they are coming from high school. If members maintain a 3.25 GPA for two semesters or 3.5 and above for one semester, they earn permanent membership, a seal on their diploma and a tassel.ÿ All of which looks good on resumes and university applications.

Where and when does your club meet?
We meet in the Social Science Building, Room 106 every second and fourth Tuesday of every month from 1 to 2 p.m. ÿ
ÿ
What are some upcoming club events?
We’re having a Halloween car wash on Oct. 31 hopefully on campus, but if not, in the Papa John’s Pizza parking lot in Redondo Beach on Beryl Street and Prospect Avenue from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
ÿ
What is something unique about your club?
Our club is recognized by all state schools, which makes students stick out from other applicants.ÿ Also, although we do like to have fun, we have a point system that each member is responsible for.ÿA minimum of 10 points per semester is required which can be earned through helping out in events on campus and attending meetings. Attending a meeting, for example is worth one point.ÿOur club is active during the fall and spring semester only.ÿ
ÿ
How does your club impact our campus?
We collaborate with other clubs creating a sense of unity and we’re a portal or gateway to student involvement on campus.ÿ By helping students become well rounded academically and by helping out. We give back to the campus by making it a better environment.ÿ