Campus Forum

What is the Gay/ Straight Alliance?
Our main focus is to try to reach out to gay, lesbian, transgendered and straight people in the community who have the same values (as us) and want to be supportive. It’s an open-forum for people who are unsure of what the (gay) community is and who want to get involved.

Why is this an important club to have at EC?
I believe the club is vital because a lot of people in the (gay) community are closeted. They are afraid to say that they are gay. I feel this club is important so that they can have a place to go. It’s important to teach tolerance and to show students that (the gay) community is a part of EC and we should get along. We want to get along and get the word out that we need to learn how to be respectful of each other.

What is an interesting experience you have had while in the club?
We set up Prop. 8 booths last semester. It opened up my eyes to the people on campus who are not open to GSA and who had a lot of (negative) things to say. They had a very negative image about the gay community. I felt like the students were aggressive. I would think that college students would be tolerant and open-minded. You meet all kinds of people; we’re just here to learn.

How do you feel about the way the gay community is perceived by society?
The media has a lot to do with it. We are teaching young children to be intolerant. You’re letting these children grow in an environment where we take fundamental rights from people.

Are there any requirements to join this club?
(Students may) join our e-mail list. We let you know what events are coming up. You don’t have to attend the meetings, we just let you know what’s going on.

What sorts of issues does the club talk about?
We try to pick a topic and do either games or debate. Last semester we had a discussion about Prop. 8. We do gay jeopardy, where we ask about gay history facts. We also had a pizza party after Prop. 8 passed. We hung out and talked about our feelings.

Are there any upcoming events the club is involved with?
It’s Gay Pride season. June is Gay Pride month. We’re going to volunteer for the L.A. West Hollywood Pride (festival.) We’re just going to work. For the Long Beach Pride (festival) we’re trying to get a booth. We want to fundraise (for it). We want to promote the club and the school to provide them with a positive image of our club.