Campus Forum: Megan McLean

Megan McLean is the president of the Associated Students Organization (ASO).

What is your job as student body president?
I guess you could say, I’m like the chief representative for the students, the senate as a whole is the representatives of the students. I have the most responsibility, I organize a lot of the meetings. I am the voting member of finance committees. I go to college council and meet with the president of our school, Tom Fallo. We represent the students locally, statewide and nationally.

What are some of your main goals this semester as EC student body president?
This semester, the senate as a whole, is doing a recruitment movement. There are many positions available in ASO, so you will be seeing us around campus, we’re are trying to get more students aware about student government on campus and that we are a big role at the school.

What did you learn last semester that you want to implement this semester?
Last semester was a tougher semester because many of the ASO had personal obligations. This semester since we have more time we are going to focus on promoting student government around campus.

How is our student government going to balance the voice of a growing student body with a weakening budget?
It’s great that enrollment has gone up and people are going back to college, but it is still going to be tough. We are trying to keep the funds going for the special programs on campus. We know that if the budgets are cut in those programs it’s going to affect a lot of students from being successful in their transferring and goals. On March 16, due to the low budget in California, the students are planning to march and rally at the capital, so we will be there. Also on Friday the 27th there is a Southern California rally at Pasadena City College which will help us narrow down what we want to go to Sacramento for.

What is you major?
Communications; it’s a really broad major so I can do a lot with it.

What are your educational goals and career goals?
I will be graduating in June and I applied to UCSB and UCLA. I’m not sure yet, possibly something in interpersonal relations or marketing

How can students voice their opinion/get involved?
We still have positions open, so students can come to the ASO office and get an application. We will also be at club rush so you can stop by. For the honors program we will be holding a seminar, and we will be meeting with different groups on campus and talking to students. In May we will be having elections, so I encourage people to run as well as vote.