Budget cuts slice into college funds

Students have a lot of expenses; paying for classes is just the tip of the iceberg and textbooks are the biggest expense and the key to passing most classes.

However, EC also has a lot of expenses: every program, every class and every student costs money.

Economic issues are staring the U.S. in the face and EC budget cuts are making the responsibility of getting an education more difficult than ever for students.

Enrollment has increased by 30 percent, but EC has cut 150 classes. This means fewer classes and more students. For students who are trying to graduate this may mean having to wait another semester to take the last required class.

Transferring students face this issue also. If there aren’t enough general education classes for students to choose from then some students will not be able to get into to the necessary classes.

Although EC has not terminated any programs, the 150 classes that have been cut will make it more difficult for students to get into the classes needed for transfer or graduation.

The college creates its own funds through the bookstore, ASB and the fine arts department and the money goes to support many EC programs. Regardless of how much funding is accumulated, the fact of the matter is that EC has more students than they can afford.

Programs that are important to many students are being affected, such as special education, EOPS and Cal-works. These programs are funded by the state and the stimulus package helps, but it is not enough to provide the proper funding needed.

Budget cuts have affected not just these programs but also student services as a whole. Student services include counseling, health services, homework tutoring and financial assistance. These services are important to students and help EC students succeed.

Many student employees that worked as part time counselors, advisers, student planners and research assistants have been let go due to the budget cuts. Students losing on-campus jobs affects all EC students.

One major effect is that there will be limited access to counselors and trying to get an appointment will be difficult.

Counselors are extremely important to any college, but especially to EC because academic counseling really helps in the transfer process.

The current economic issues are affecting EC students and faculty and solving the budget issues will be difficult.

To help the EC students and faculty, the college could post information about how the school is being affected on the website. Current and future faculty, students and parents of students would be able to see this information.

Also, to reach currently enrolled students, the college could send e-mails out via MyECC telling students information they should know about classes or services not being offered and others being impacted.

Communication between the college and the students is vital during times of change.

EC could be doing more to communicate with its students, but students should also do what they can on their own.

Registering early helps ensure getting required classes and buying textbooks early gives students a better chance of getting them used.