Commentary: Still no compassion for same-sex unions

It has been almost three weeks since it happened.

Barack Obama was votedin as president of the United States. California, one of the most liberal states in the nation, voted in favor of Proposition 8.

California might as well change its name to Cali-for-no-way.

Proposition 8 was the proposition to repeal the legalization of gay and lesbian marriage here and to re-establish marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

So, unfortunately, George Takei will not be able to live long and prosper with his domestic partner. We could have followed suit after states like Massachusettes and Connecticut, which are allowing legal unions between homosexuals.

In fact, had California shot down Prop. 8, it would have opened the doors for other states to allow same-sex marriage because California is one of the largest states in the country.

California had the opportunity to lead the country by allowing all to get married, regardless of one’s sexual orientation.

During the past couple of weeks protestors have taken to the streets of West Hollywood to take Prop. 8 to the Supreme Court.

They may have a strong case, especially when Proposition 2, the proposition that allowed farm animals to co-exist equally and be able to stretch their legs for equal amounts of time (this proposition doesn’t go into affect until 2015) passed in California.

If people are doing the math, this means that more people care about the cows and the chickens.

Cows and chickens are allowed the right to do whatever they do in farms before their date with the grim reaper, but gays and lesbians, who are people just like us, cannot get married.

If you stop to think about it, people are people and it cannot be denied who people choose to love, man or woman and while religion does play a part in America’s identity, and America was built on Christian ideals, if we were to follow that to a “T,” women would be beneath men and still be allowed to be beaten and slavery would still be all right.

By denying gay marriage, we are denying gay and lesbian people fundamental human rights.

Gays and lesbians are an important part of our culture.

Even though California doesn’t feel that way, Californians can live in peace knowing Foghorn Leghorn and Bessie the Cow have equal rights.

It’s time for California to re-think its feelings on Proposition 8 and if gays and lesbians are a different sort of creature.

Let’s stop the hate on Proposition 8.

If the rallies are any indication, then there are a select group of Californians who believe that Prop. 8 has no place in California and this could be the beginning as the tide turns.

Eventually people will have to accept that gay and lesbian marriage despite their worst intentions will soon be a reality.

Fights are breaking out in front of churches and on the streets of West Los Angeles.

Maybe the rioters are being too harsh, but can they really be blamed because they are losing out on human rights?

Homosexuals have come to help define our culture.