Commentary: Obama brings hope to American youth

Through the desire for change and hope, Americans have elected Barack Obama to the presidency.

Americans have voted against the Iraq War and George W. Bush.

They voted for a black man with the middle name of “Hussein.”

Being 19 and growing up with Bush for the last eight years, some American youth have never been more proud of their country than now.

This does not mean that Americans can sit back after electing Obama–especially young people.

They must sacrifice and work hard to revitalize the country after the poor leadership endured during the Bush years.

In his victory speech at Grant Park, Obama said: “This victory alone is not the change we seek-it is only the chance for us to make that change.

And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were. It cannot happen without you.”

The college community and youth around the world that voted overwhelmingly for Obama must take this to heart.

According to CNN, 66 percent of 18-29 year olds voted for Obama. American youth have not voted so decisively since President John F. Kennedy ran in 1960.

Earlier in the campaign, Sen. Ted Kennedy made a comparison of JFK and Obama: “He faced criticism from preceding Democratic president Harry Truman, who was widely respected in the party. And John Kennedy replied, ‘The world is changing.

The old ways will not do. It is time for a new generation of leadership.’

So it is with Barack Obama.

One of the biggest challenges of our generation is climate change.

Americans need to change the way they live.

Being environmentally aware includes carbon counting, recycling, insulating, walking, biking, car pooling and using public transportation.

Americans must strive for more in education.

JFK led the country through the space race by inspiring the youth to further their education in science and engineering.

Americans can become energy independent by using alternative energy if their generation is inspired again to become scientists and engineers.

The path to energy independence will surely be discovered by our peers.

Finally, we must retain a high participation in civics.

By voting and being engaged, we can demand efficiency in all levels of government and make ourselves heard.

We can also help others by volunteering our time and effort to those in need and look for opportunities to get involved in our community.

These are only some of the things that young people can do. At Grant Park, Obama said, “For that is the true genius of America- that America can change.

“Our union can be perfected. And what we have already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow.”

Yes, we can.