Commentary: Movie lovers help stars pay bills

Not too long ago, $10 was enough to get a movie ticket and a bag of popcorn.

Now $10 is not enough for a movie ticket.

As the economy is flushed down the toilet, the film industry is also taking the plunge.

What used to be a cheap, favorite pastime for many has turned into an expensive, luxury activity.

Ticket prices are too high.

To pay more than $10 just to watch a cinematic piece of art is ridiculous.

Filmmakers and those in the industry say that ticket sales are at all-time low, and it is true.

According to www.the-numbers.com, the annual revenue in ticket sales in 2008 so far is $9.36 billion and it has not been this low since 1997.

However, before the industry expects the consumers to empty their wallets, it should evaluate how much the filmmakers are spending on the actors and actresses.

According to www.Hollywood.com, A-list stars like Nicole Kidman and Drew Barrymore earn at least $15 million per film.

These movie giants take more than 15 percent of the entire film budget, based on a $100 million budget.

The question is, why are the ticket prices going up while the salaries of actors are still unbelievably high?

Some $15 million is enough for a person to live in luxury with cars, houses, champagne and jewelry.

But cutting the salary by half, into fewer millions of dollars, we could still give enough money for them to buy a house in the Hollywood Hills.

Rather than hiking up the ticket prices for average Joe’s who make less than $100,000 a year, film makers could simply cut the salaries of the actors and save themselves millions of dollars.

Ultimately, moviegoers are paying for the fat checks that A-listers receive.

By paying the extra dollar or two for a ticket, cinema lovers are supporting the lavish lifestyles of the rich and the famous.

To think that their money is going into the pocket of Robert Pattinson may ease the minds of Twilight fanatics, but many do not care to help support the luxury habits of the stars and would rather save their money.

It is unfortunate that the simplest thing like going to the movies is becoming a burden for many Americans.

In the end, however, the ticket prices are not going to get lower and neither will the salaries of the actors.

Now, DVDs and Blu-ray discs are released within months after a movie debuts in theaters, allowing fans to buy a own a production instead of paying for one viewing.