Campus forum: Joseph Evans

Joseph Evans is the vice president of the Forensics Club.

What is the Forensics Club?
The Forensics Club is an extension of the Forensics team. The club and the team are essentially the same and we go to tournaments, compete and win.

What is forensics? What does it mean?
Forensics is a speech team that includes the debate team, so it involves debate and speech and individual speaking events.

Why is the club important?
Our club is important because it gives students motivation to not only bump up their grades, but it also gets students motivated in subjects they could make into a career. Forensics also helps students in critical thinking and helps represent EC. We are known for being well-respected and honorable.

How can EC students become involved with the Forensics Club?
Students can become involved with forensics by enrolling in Speech 4 which is Argumentation and Debate because it helps speech. And at the beginning of each fall school semester you can just come and try out for the team.

What are the clubs’ goals?
Our goals are to motivate members to improve speaking skills, critical thinking skills and to ultimately do well at state and nationals (competitions.)

What are your goals for the club?
I want to use forensics to prepare me for a career in law and my short-term goal is to win gold at nationals.

Are there any requirements to join the club?
(There are) no specific requirements to join forensics, we just want students who speak well. Our base requirement is just dedication.

Are there any up and coming events?
We have a tournament in San Diego this weekend.

When does the Forensics Club meet?
We meet Monday and Wednesday at 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Room 132 in the Music Building.

How did you get into forensics?
I got into forensics through Speech 4, just by talking to Francesca Bishop, director of forensics, she got me into it.

How many awards does the club have?
I would say we have more than 70 awards.

Do you have any last comments about the club in general?
Forensics has changed my life as well as anyone else I know. It provides direction for life and it is fun.