Taros-Shake-out editorial

The cityscape all around is in shambles.

There is no way to communicate with anyone as cell phones keep failing to complete calls.

Everyone loses signal and can see no signs of medical aid anywhere.

This is what Californians could potentially see in the event of a major earthquake.

Earthquakes, ironically, are not something most Californians would think about in their day-to-day lives.

Then all of a sudden, an earthquake can hit and the sad truth is, most people will more than likely not be prepared for it.

In a catastrophic event, people can be trapped and will not be able to be reached by a response team for up to 72 hours.

The California Shake-Out is a good way to educate people on how to handle an emergency situation, especially since most people might not know where to begin on the subject.

College students need to be more aware of potential dangers that could occur at any time so they will be able to take care of themselves during a crisis.

Knowledge such as this benefits all, as it can be used to save or assist others in an emergency if there is someone around who is aware of the facts and procedures that can be taken.

Awareness about the possibility of a major earthquake occurring in California needs to be raised across the campus community because in the event of an earthquake happening during a time where the EC has many students on campus, students will be able to help each other and the chance of major loss will decrease.

The Shake-Out provides a major service to the entire state that students need to take advantage of.

Emergency preparedness may seem like a boring subject or like something you learn about in elementary school, but it is something worth investing time in.

There are different level of preparedness suited for people of all ages, so taking the time to participate in the Shake-Out will provide a better insight and more information than one has from their public schooling years.

Even in this era filled with all sorts of useful technology, it may not be enough to save someone in an emergency situation.

In a catastrophe, the infrastructure connecting cell phones and the Web will eventually be rendered useless as everyone frantically tries to communicate with one another, causing a back-up that is too much for machines to handle.

This is why simple survival techniques need to be learned so that in the event of a loss of contact, even those who depend on their phones or computers can stay safe until a response team can help them.

More promotion of this event needs to be seen across campus as introducing the idea to the campus may generate a great response.

This could benefit the entire campus, so promotion should not be compromised.

Also, people need not be lazy or assume they know all there is to know about the subject just because they have a first aid kit at home.

One must be able to utilize everything they have effectively in order to truly be safe in the event of an earthquake.

After all, one must not forget that even if California has not seen a major earthquake in quite some time, the risk is always there.

Even if one does not constantly think about being prepared, the proper precautions need to be somewhere in everyone’s mind in order to ease crisis situations.