Editorial: There are few incentives to attend homecoming

One event has been carried over for EC students from high schools: the homecoming dance.

The theme is Hollywood Glamour and all the implications of dreams, power and fortune that come with it.

The hope of using such a generalized theme is to generate some excitement to be part of an elite community and to have a taste of the high life.

But this dance is not well known.

Not only has there been little to no exposure for this event, but the excitement for this is muted. With a new Inter-Club Council president, there was some optimism for a change in the attendance and the reputation of the dance for the better.

The enthusiasm shown by the president is tough to mimic, for the rest of the campus because of the lack of advertisements and excitement shown for this dance.

Part of the problem could be because the idea of a transfer college is to transfer and not stay for an extended amount of time.

The people just do not care. Because education is the priority, dances like these are distractions from the big picture of getting into a university.

That is, in no way, understating the hard work that is going into making the dance happen.

But the dance is already at a disadvantage to buck the trend of disappointing attendance levels.

The reliving of awkward slow and fast dancing with the usual terrible disc jockeys and music is not exactly the definition of a good time.

There is even a VIP section to add some spice to the event.

As if the homecoming dance and its theme isn’t already on life support, this separation of regular attendees and VIP attendees just makes the chances of success sink further.

It’s not a guarantee that this event will fail, but the odds are not looking great for an event.

The purpose of a homecoming dance is to have fun, but because no one knows about this event, it makes it more of a joke than an actual social outing.

This year could have been a better step forward because of the efforts the ICC chamber made by changing the name of the homecoming dance and atmosphere to make it less about high school and more about the college experience.

The potential is there to make this into a great event, but this year’s miscues and lack of advertisements and the planned entertainment in the dance look to put this into the missed opportunity file.