Commentary: Next president will not bring a change

As the 2008 election has already passed, many Americans have made a stand by not voting.

There are various reasons as to why those people would not vote for the U.S. president.

One of the reasons may be that they do not feel that either candidate will help this country, but will hinder it even more.

To many voters, neither Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., nor Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., gives them any hope as to whether or not they will move this country out of the current economic recession and into a new era.

Past presidents have given America hope in moving forward.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, (FDR), created the “New Deal,” a program that increased employment at the end of the Great Depression.

While FDR was president during a time long forgotten, Ronald Reagan dealt with hard economic times the same way.

Reagan created his own “New Deal,” named “Reaganomics.”

What Reagan did with “Reaganomics” was create jobs in fields that he saw could grow more.

With the Cold War almost at its end, Reagan found a department that could thrive with more jobs, the Defense Department.

With Reagan putting countless amounts of money into the Defense Department, he helped create millions of jobs, most notably in Southern California’s aerospace capital, El Segundo.

Over the years, the country and local communities have seen those jobs Reagan created go from plentiful to almost nonexistent.

Current President George Bush has kept the aerospace industry alive, but has cut jobs and funding.

While voters might have chosen not to vote for the president, many voters saw the local propositions were more important because they hit home, most notably proposition No. 8.

While Prop. 8 was not the only one on this year’s ballot, many California voters made it known how they stood on the topic.

To many, if you voted “no” on Prop. 8, you were simply taking a person’s rights away from them.

From what many Americans remember, we all thought this was a free country, so why would one try and take someone else’s rights away from another?

True, marriage has always been taught to be between a man and a woman, but that is what is taught in schools.

A bond between two people constitutes marriage.

Webster’s New World Dictionary defines marriage as a close union, never stating whether or not it should be between a man and a woman.

If two people are so compatible, who is to make the decision as to whether or not they should be married?

While California had several measures on the ballot besides Prop. 8, many of the other propositions did not immediately take a person’s rights away.

With another two years until more measures hit the ballot book, California voters can only wait and see what new measures come to the election front in 2010.

Maybe by 2012 the deficit problem, which accumulates $3.87 billion a day., according to www.brillig.com. will be a things of the past.