Campus Forum: Ashley Dester

Ashley Dester is the president of the
Future Educators Cub.

What is the Future Educators Club?
It’s a club whose motivation is (to) generally build better teachers and help students who may be interested in teaching reach their goals to become a teacher. The club is for anybody seeking a profession in the education system which includes teachers, librarians, school psychologists and provides them with necessary information. Hopefully, this inspires them to better the education system.

Why is this club important?
This club is important to EC because no profession (can exist) without teachers. By having great teachers, we create better doctors and lawyers.

What are some of the club’s goals?
(Our goals) are mainly to spread community awareness of education system and its current state. We also emphasize community involvement and we will be having a canned food drive and a toy drive coming up.

What are your personal goals for the club?
My personal goals are to make people understand what makes a good teacher and make sure people bring out the best of their abilities.

How can students become involved with the club?
(Students may) contact us through teachers education program or through my e-mail, [email protected].

What are the requirements to become a member of the club?
Students just need to bring enthusiasm and a desire to want to do great things.

When does the club meet?
The club meets every other Thursday and our next meeting is Nov. 6. We meet from 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. The next meeting will be in the Social Science Building, but generally our class meetings are in Room 313 of the Art Building

Why did you start the club?
The Teachers Education Program wanted to build a club for its members. Leanne Bergeron and myself thought it would be an excellent opportunity to motivate people aspiring to be teachers.

What kind of upcoming events does the club have planned?
We have all types of community events geared toward helping children in the education system. It ranges from donations of personal supplies and money to donations to local schools.

Is there anything else you would like to say about the club in general?
We love to have new members and we pride ourselves on being enthusiastic and we hope people will appreciate that.