Editorial: Recruiters prey on gullible youth

Having their education paid for sounds like a dream come true to many students, but it may come with a price.

Military recruiters often tell students of wonderful opportunities, but fail to mention the dangers of joining the military and disregard the reality of the war in Iraq.

While they have a right to be on campus, it should be made clear to students exactly what joining the military would mean instead of talking about it as though nothing can go wrong.

In reality, many young soldiers are losing their lives every day because of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

While this may seem like common knowledge, sometimes those who just recently finished high school do not know which path to take with their lives.

Therefore, some may consider the military service more readily without thinking of the consequences, especially since money to pay for college may be a problem.

For example, a student looking to have college completely paid for decided to accept a two-year term in the military but didn’t even get a chance to make it out of basic training.

This student had flat feet, a sumptom that should have prohibited him from joining the military, but one that was overlooked. Because he was not given a waiver for his condition, he worked himself hard during basic training until it became apparent that he was struggling to walk.

Over time, his feet got swollen and purple and now he cannot walk farther than a mile without crutches because his feet will swell.

The military tried to buy him off without paying for his surgery and now his feet are wrapped and doctors say it will take him at least a year until he is able to walk properly again-if he’s lucky.

It is understandable that the military wants to recruit, but the safety and well-being of the person who may join must be taken into consideration.

Perhaps the recruiters can stay on campus if they are required to give further information other than what everyone wants to hear.

It can be argued that recruiters will not get as many willing applicants, but that may be the price that needs to be paid to keep students who are looking for an education to turn to something they may not really want to do.

On another note, the military will most likely not be significantly impacted as any student who really wants to join the military, regardless of other facts.

Younger students may be easier to sway, but using that against them is unfair because once a person joins, there’s no easy way out.

They have their whole lives to decide what they want; jumping into a commitment as serious as the military may be something they grow to regret.

Just as recruiters are allowed to be here, students are allowed to be here as well.

They should not have to be subject to these attempts at persuasion when they are just trying to get to class considering most are here because they want to be.

Recruiters should be allowed to do their job as the military is something they are devoted to and it would not be fair to ban them, but they should take better care to inform students and be specific on facts so that neither side is compromised.