Editorial: Society is obsessed with being attractive

When it comes to the youth of today, image is everything. Everyone is trying to find their own individual sense of style and social niche in life, but the extent of their efforts varies between men and women.

To women, having exterior individuality seems to be much more important than it is to men.

Most women have spent countless hours and dollars in shopping malls and hair salons in an attempt to look beautiful and attract attention from men.

Many women get various and unnecessary services done to them in order to improve their exterior looks.

Women pay for manicures, pedicures, tanning sessions, waxing facials, spa sessions and even pay $80 for a haircut on a regular basis to look attractive to men and reassure themselves of their beauty.

Makeup and the trendiest clothes and accessories help women create an exterior image that is their own, but a lot of the time women around campus end up looking very similar to each other.

Often times, these women buy their clothes or accessaries based on what is “hot or not” in magazines and what the celebrities are wearing.

By copying what the celebrities are wearing, these women sacrifise individuality.

Women put in all of this time and effort to look beautiful in their own individual way, but the men around campus are not usually admiring the new necklace they bought at Forever 21 or the cute designs on the back of their sweatpants as they walk past them through school.

Most men appreciate the way a woman’s body looks in their trendy clothes and accessories rather than the way those clothes and accessories look on the woman.

On the other hand, many men have spent countless hours working out in the gym in order to improve their exterior or change their image.

Some men base their manliness and sex appeal on how bulging their biceps look or how flat their stomach is.

There are also some men who choose to dress in a feminine fashion who spend more time shopping for tight jeans, bracelets and eyeliner.

However, those men can save time and money by just stealing their little sister’s jeans when she is sleeping.

Although men do not spend as much time shopping for clothes and accessories, they do care about how they look and how they are perceived by women.

Men wear the clothes they do because they hope women will think they look hot in them.

Men have worn muscle shirts, bell bottoms and even parachute pants all in a lame attempt to get women to like them.

What men and women need to realize is that the opposite sex is attracted to a person who is well-rounded.

A well-rounded individual does not necessarily have to have the model-like appearance or the best Ed Hardy shirt on his or her back. That person doesn’t even have to be a saint to win the over hearts of others.

Many times, however, a relationship with very beautiful people does not last because there is usually not a lot behind the beauty, and relationships between ugly people with great personalities usually never start because nobody wants to take the time to see their inner beauty.