Editorial: Sexual-assault workshops may not help

With EC sponsoring only two sexual assault workshops, fearful feelings across campus might not change much.

While these workshops were not mandatory, having these workshops during the day might not have been a good idea.

With one morning session and one afternoon session, many people who might have thought about attending these workshops more than likely were unable to, due to scheduling conflicts with classes, work, or other activities.

During the fall semester of ’07, a student was sexually assaulted by the South Gym; the suspect was never apprehended.

Then, during the spring semester, another sexual assault took place in the same location, ‘though this time, one individual “looked out” while the other individual exploited one of our students.

This passed September, a student was lucky enough to escape her assailant, marking the first attempted assault.

Walking to her vehicle in Parking Lot F, the student elbowed the predator, screamed and reported the incident to the authorites.

While a workshop might be a good idea there must be something else that can happen to ensure the safety of the students on this campus, especially those who are attending night classes.

Jeremy Brown, a student who is currently enrolled in night classes, acknowledges that women do not feel safe walking across campus alone.

“I have about 5 or 6 women in one of my night classes asking me to walk with them to their cars,” Brown said. “Each one of them is parked in a different area. It is tough to choose who to walk with.”

This does not happen in just one class across campus.

Even with the workshops yesterday and today, many women will still not feel safe walking across campus alone, but will have no other choice.

Amanda Yamauchi is enrolled in a night class and has acknowledged that workshop sessions might not be enough.

“I don’t think that many people will go to the workshops,” Yamauchi said. “If the college made it mandatory for us to go, then it might have an effect.”

Yamauchi said she feels safe walking across campus at night because she is taking that class with a male friend of hers.

“I wouldn’t feel safe walking across campus by myself at all. We usually get out of class around 9 p.m.,” Yamauchi said.

Many other students across campus feel cautious when walking to their vehicles.

Everybody is looking over their shoulders.

Teachers on campus also do not feel completely safe.

One teacher, who asked to remain anonymous, acknowledged that she does not feel completely safe while walking to her car after her last class is finished.

Another teacher, who is also asked to remain anonymous, said that she moves her car during the day so it is closer to her last class.

These feelings of discomfort can be felt all over campus.

While night classes are not likely going to be cut, there must be something the administration can do in order to make the students and the faculty on campus feel completely safe.