Yes: I feel safe on campus

While many students find themselves shrinking in fear due to recent attempted assaults, they should, instead, raise their chins and walk with confidence because this campus is safe.

People have every obligation to maintain their safety, for in the end, silly simple things like talking on a cell phone while walking to class, are what make the difference in avoiding cases of unwanted altercations.

That’s not to say that all individuals who have been victimized by evil-doers are justified, even the safest of people may fall prey to sick-minded scum that lurk in the shadowy corridors of this campus.

Brisk walking, a confident gait and a blade or canister of pepper spray or mace may deflect, unnecessary and unwanted human attention.

Who cares about the consequences of being caught with any of the aforementioned items; whether the campus is safe or not, one has to take one’s safety into his or her own hands.

Sure, no one is monitoring the new security-cameras installed in select locations on campus 24/7, but no one watches vigilantly while we walk down streets and boulevards either.

The same degree of caution and awareness some people emit while meandering around malls or walking down busy streets should apply to the campus environment.

For women, it is simple: keep your hands free, use a blue-tooth device while walking and talking or don’t do it at all, for one always wants to keep his or her hands free in the event of a physical attack.

Sometimes, when making strong eye contact with an individual, one may react with a bright smile, instead of rolling one’ eyes.

People don’t expect people to be nice these days, especially women, they are supposed to scoff and kind of sneer at the individual.

Maybe one’s smile could make the difference in a troubled mind’s sanity, could sort of , lull an individual out of malicious intent.

Women should also consider the locations and times of their classes, for alternate routes may provide assistance in the event of trying to shake away unwanted attention from creepy-creeps on campus.

The times of classes, well, makes all the difference.

During the day, one can find it difficult to avoid constant nudging of elbows with fellow students in between classes; the student-population is so dense.

While, in the evening, fewer if no crowds are seen, and more students are stuck walking alone to and from their places of transport, unless they have friend taking the same class.

One cannot depend on law enforcement to ensure one’s safety, for there is always room for horrors of the flesh to slip through the cracks of our everyday conventions.

Keeping one’s wits about oneself and being aware of one’s surroundings, and not making silly social mistakes may ensure further campus safety.

Mom can’t hold your hand all your life, safety and control over situations are inherent in successfully handling oneself should the unthinkable take place.

So, next time, think of all of the assaults that go on that no one ever becomes aware of.

At least these individuals have survived the horrendous trauma and have raised awareness in the community.