Editorial: Students find new food venue affordable and more diverse

It is admirable that ECC is making an effort to make the students’ lives easier by establishing an affordable and easily accessible eatery.

Munchy, located next to the planetarium, offers a quick fix for students and faculty on the go, with reasonable selections of Chinese, Mexican and American foods.

French fries, chow men, roast beef sandwich, ice cream and gummy bears are few of the selections at Munchy.

In the sleepy morning hours, it also serves morning menu like eggs.

Though most items are not the healthiest, there are simple sandwiches and fruits for the health-conscious.

Aside from the typical chips and soda selections, students can enjoy warm orange chicken with rice, hamburger and chicken quesadilla for under $5.

Just like any convenience store, this eatery has wide variety of drinks as well-sodas, juices and always student-favorite, energy drinks.

The new module provides decent food for a decent price; something hard to find at nearby restaurants where $5 will get barely enough food to stop his or her stomach from growling.

To get the similar foods and drinks offered at Munchy off-campus, a student would have to fork over at least $10.

Besides the affordable food, compared to the off-campus eateries, Munchy is also closer.

Students can purchase food without waiting in a long, crowded line at McDonald’s or ever-so-popular Subway.

Saving time is crucial for busy EC students since time management is an obvious issue for most of them.

If some students had ten minutes in between classes, it is unlikely for them to make it to class on time if they walked across the street for food, especially during the busy lunch hours.

Instead, students in hurry can stop by the new eatery on campus to grab a sandwich or a banana and get to class on time.

Although the module is extremely small in size–smaller than a classroom–unlike the campus cafeteria, it is more accessible and on-the-go friendly.

Unlike the campus cafeteria, a student does not have to hike upstairs to get food-the new eatery is on the ground level.

When students are too lazy to go upstairs or walk across the street, they can just walk few feet from their classrooms to satisfy their hunger.

Though there are going to be students who still prefer the Golden Arches or to Eat Fresh, it is good to have more choices to so that students do not have to eat the same boring food day after day.

ECC has finally acknowledged that students need more accessible and affordable eatery on campus and took action.

This action may be small, but it’s a small step like this that brings students and school closer.