Commentary: Caffeine-fiends at EC need a Starbucks’ fix

How is it possible to not digress in class without a nice cup of vanilla latte, five shots of espresso, no foam and a dash of half and half to balance the sweet to espresso ratio.

Or on a hot day, hearing the blender crush the ice that will eventually be a safe haven of sweet, cool and refreshing all in one little frapaccino topped with chilled whip cream.

Every block it seems like there should be a Starbucks coffee shop, out of sheer convenience, let alone next to the largest community college in the South Bay.

This seems to be the anomaly of all things Starbucks, the fact that there is not a single location within walking distance from the EC campus.

There have been various accounts of students on campus looking withered and worn, needing that extra caffeine boost to push them through the day, yet we have a monopoly of off campus coffee, unless McDonald’s enters the equation then we have a tight race between bad and barely quality.

Of course this is all mere opinion, but in relation to the mass amounts of students, this campus deserves options as well as quality, not just a packed coffee bar, or fast food substitute for the real thing.

It seems to be a no-brainer when even thinking if a coffee shop would work at a very large college, maybe even venture to an on campus location.

A suggestion could be the old smelly cafeteria, to convert it to a food court with a Starbucks attached. No doubt an on campus location would thrive, such as the one at SMC.

The kind of revenue that EC could potentially bring in with an on campus Starbucks is a value that should be considered, also providing jobs possibly for students.

On their web site, there is a suggestions section easily found on the page, along with a phone number for regional customer services, such as new locations.

In case you are interested the local number for the greater Los Angeles County is in Burbank, to inform them of this collegiate folly call (818) 565-3501 extention 2248.

It is very hard to believe that there is a Starbucks on every corner, when there is none within walking distance, the closest one would be on Artesia and Prairie, about three quarters of a mile from campus.