Campus Forum: Megan McLean

Megan McLean is the president of the Associated Student Organization.

What is ASO?
ASO stands for Associated Student Organization. We act as the student government on the El Camino College campus. We are composed of seven executive members including myself and about seven senators as of now.

What are your responsibilities as ASO President?
My responsibilities as president are to serve as the Chief Executive Officer of ASO and Chair of the Executive Cabinet. As president, I also get to recommend the appointment of Senate members, Committee Chairs and also salaried employees for the ASO itself.
I keep the ASO updated with information on the events. But I think my most important responsibility is to be a leader who students don’t have trouble coming to if there is a concern.
I want the students to know that we are here for them and that we are their voice. Primarily, my responsibility is making sure that voice can be heard in the best way I or another member of the Senate possibly can.

Why did you become involved with ASO?
I came from a small private high school. I wanted to make the best out of being enrolled in a much bigger school so I got involved to make new friends and to learn more about my school. Once I started ASO, it opened up endless doors and opportunities to meet some of the most respectful people. I began to join more clubs and programs at school.

How can students get involved with ASO?
If students are still confused on how they want to get involved, I would ask a teacher or friends that have been at El Camino for a while. Also students might want to ask their professors in the subjects pertaining to their major. There are clubs for almost every major. Students can also become involved by finding a job on campus. There are many opportunities as TA (teacher’s aid) for professors or at the bookstore.

What would you like to accomplish for ASO this semester?
This semester I would really like to get ASO’s awareness out. I would like people to know that we actually exist and that we represent each student at El Camino. This year being an election year, we are going to hopefully be hosting a Rock the Vote so all students can register. We have many new plans for this semester to help fund raise and create an even better atmosphere and student life on campus.

How can a student join ASO?
To join ASO, you must fill out an application. You must be enrolled in at least 6 units during the fall semester. You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 and also buy a fall ASB valid sticker.

Why is ASO important to El Camino?
ASO’s mission statement reads off like this: “The Associated Students Organization of El Camino Community College District represents the student body emphasizing efficiency and unification. They are always visible and work hard to serve the students and the community with a commitment to improving the quality of services and increasing campus involvement.” We are important to the students of El Camino because we really are their voice.

How long have you been attending El Camino?
This fall is technically my 3rd semester at El Camino but not including winter and summer session which I attend both.

What are your personal goals?
Just being able to utilize the responsibilities ASO has among all of the senate and making sure we are doing our part in representing the El Camino student body with poise and ambition. Personally, I would love to transfer to UCLA next fall

Any advice to new students?
I really encourage to take your school work seriously and never let anything get in the way of your dreams. Create a great work ethic and still make time to have some fun.