Editor-in-chief leaves the newspaper without any regret

Boy, am I glad this is over.
Hours and hours of work, staying late in the newsroom on Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s, sometimes not getting home until midnight.
The days were filled with problems with the newspaper, problems with computers, problems with people on campus, problems with other staff members.
Then I get home, get in bed and spend the next four hours staring at the ceiling and wondering if there were any incorrect headlines or misspelled rules.
Just another nightmarish day in the life of a junior college journalist
Except this nightmare didn’t last a day, it lasted nearly three years or to be specific, five semesters.
Yep, being on the Union newspaper pretty much controlled my life.
After starting out as a staff writer, two semesters as sports editor and two more semesters as editor-in-chief brought upon stress that I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
But the strange thing is that I don’t really regret any of it. In fact, if an inquiring journalist asked me if joining the paper was worth it, I’d tell them yes without hesitation.
The long and stressful production nights were always worth it though, after getting to school the next day and seeing the finished product that you worked so hard on in newsstands.
During the hours and hours spent working in the room, I was always surrounded by helpful advisers and good people… well, for the most part.
I learned things and had experiences on the Union that are going to help me immensely both in my career and in life in general.
I met the person that I consider my best friend and met plenty of other close friends who are going to be in my life forever.
Sure, I stayed on the paper longer than a lot of people stay at EC.
It wasn’t always fun and it wasn’t always easy, but in the end it was worth it.
If I could re-do my last five semesters at EC, I wouldn’t change a thing.