Cyclone victims suffer while the government turns its back

Tuesday marked the beginning of a three-day mourning period for those killed by cyclone Nagris’ sweep of destruction two weeks ago in Myanmar.
It is estimated that 78,000 people are dead.
To add to that devastating number, 56,000 people are still missing.
After a stubborn junta decision to reject help from other nations, as of Tuesday, the Southeastern Asian Nations agreed to set up an ASEAN-led taskforce for the distribution of foreign aid.
John Holmes, the United Nations undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs, flew to Myanmar’s largest city, Yangon, Monday.
At Yangon, foreign staff were barred from the Irrawaddy Delta.
The victims in proximity to the delta suffer diseases, malnutrition and exposure to the elements.
“Reports indicate that in most of the bigger affected townships, basic relief and food is available but much less so in the more remote areas,” the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said.
“There are indications of mounting frustration among many displaced communities,” they said.
Roughly 500,000 of the 2.4 million cyclone victims have not received any form of international assistance, the UN said.
With rain not letting up at all, the victims are desperate for relief from the wretched conditions they have continued face.
Just as Hurricane Katrina victims were forced to wait, die and endure the worst of conditions, the cyclone victims are also unfortunate to have such pig-headed individuals in power.
Britain’s Ministry of Defense has dispatched the HMS Westminster to stand by for Myanmar assistance.
Also to aid the victims, U.S. ships can produce more than 70,000 gallons of drinkable water per day.
On the U.S. ships, there are roughly 120 Navy medics, 12 doctors and three dentists.
Lives are being needlessly and exponentially snuffed out.
Nature is not to be at fault here. What is to be blamed, however, is the evil in human’s nature.