Commentary: Polygamists or not, children deserve to be raised with care

Police and state officials raided the FLDS (Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints ) church compound near El Dorado,Texas, where the followers of Warren Jeffs and polygamist lived.

The raid began after a 16-year-old girl was making phonecalls claiming she was being physically and sexually abused by her father.

More than 400 women and children were removed from the compound on April 3 after allegations of abuse.

The compund is still being searched and investigated for evidence of abuse.

Polygamy is illegal in the country despite regards to religion.

Additionaly, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints have denounced polygamy, which is why the FLDS separated itself in El Dorado, Texas.

It is tolerable that polygamy has been part of their lifestyle, but it doesn’t make it OK.

The main issue here is the safety of the children; they are victims and are subjected to this lifestyle of polygamy.

The children are innocent and don’t need to be put in an environment that could be damage their future.

There have been reports of girls ranging from ages 14 to 18 who are married to men who are at least 50.

Now, the issue is about the safety of the children and the many young women who were wrongly forced into a lifestyle they had no control over.

So now it must come down to judges and state decisions on this controversial case.

Since the children have been in the state’s custody, then have undergone physical exams and DNA tests to determine who their parents are.

A high percentage of the children have no birth certificates and aren’t registered under the state of Texas.

Most of the children don’t even know how old they are.

Its up to the judge and state to decide how to rule on this case.

If parents cannot ensure the safety of their children, then they do not need to be in their care.