Commentary: College students arrested for drug dealing is not a surprise

Books, tuition payments, sports, parties and a few drugs here and there are all part of some college students’ lives.

Drugs have been notably present in our society for decades.

San Diego State University has suspended six fraternities on Tuesday after a drug investigation called Operation Sudden Fall.

The investigation started last year when Shirley Poliakoff, 19, a freshman sorority member, died of a cocaine overdose in May 2007.

During the investigation, another student, from San Diego Mesa College, also died of a cocaine overdose after a party at an San Diego State University fraternity house on Feb. 26.?

Officials found more than what they were looking for: four pounds of cocaine, 50 pounds of marijuana, 48 hydroponics marijuana plants, 359 Ecstasy pills, 30 vials of hash oil, methamphetamine, mushrooms, illicit prescription dugs, one shotgun, three semiautomatic pistols, three brass knuckles and $60,000 in cash.?

75 out of 96 people arrested are students.

A student arrested was about to receive a criminal justice degree.

Another arrested student was few weeks away from a master’s degree in homeland security.

Many are shocked, others are glad and those involved are ruined.

But the drug problems in colleges are no news in today’s society.

The fact that 75 students were caught all in one operation does capture our attention, yet it does not mean it’s something new.?

Drug dealings in college are very common yet not considered a huge problem.

In this case, the overdoses leading to the deaths of two students made officials realize that drug abuse and dealings among college students is a problem and that there must be actions taken to prevent these abuse and deaths.

Whether some consider this operation unfair or a total success, the actions were taken and culprits of drug dealing were caught.

Maybe this kind of operation is what it takes to save lives and discourage drug abuse and dealings among college students.