Student vote will influence the campus

The time has come when the EC student body has the privilege to walk up to a ballot box and vote for who they think will be the best student leaders.

This Tuesday, executive office and senator candidates hit the campaign trail in search of the votes they need to begin the reign they so much desire.

Americans are focusing their attention on the 2008 presidential election and turning out in record numbers to vote in a historical election.

Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. are enjoying the media attention and are enjoying the possibility that they will implement a new change.

However, the same cannot be said about our campus and our Asoociated Students Organization candidates.

With more than 20,000 students attending EC and only a few hundred actually voting in the last ASO election, it is time for us to change this.

In fact, it is accurate to say that we don’t care and we don’t have any idea as to what is going on with our college.

Considering that our last ASO president, Vivian Amezcua, was ousted for unknown reasons, the student body should be concerned about what is going on with the ASO.

Students should be interested and involved in this important decision.

Those elected will be in charge of shedding light on the many issues that affect the student population on campus.

It’s sad to say that many have no idea what the ASO is and what they do for the campus.

In fact, many students aren’t even aware that we have our very own elections taking place.

Not only do elected ASO officers serve as messengers between the students and the board of trustees, but they also organize campus events such as the annual Pow Wow and participate in fundraising activities and other events organized by student clubs on campus.

Students must learn about and speak out about the issues that most affect them.

One way of doing this is by attending the campaign rally that will take place on the Activities Center outdoor stage on May 13 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.

This would be the best time for students to ask questions and get involved in what goes on and who represents them.

The voting process is easy and the candidates are accessible to whoever has a concern.

So it’s up to you, the student body, to decide if it’s worth taking a few minutes out of your busy schedule to research what is going on with our campus.

Keep in mind that the people elected will be in office for one whole semester.

Many decisions are made during this time and it is crucial that the best individuals are chosen for the job.

Voting will be taking place from May 12-15 on the library lawn from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Your vote counts!