Commentary: Lowering SWAT standards is insulting to men and women

Los Angeles’ SWAT team is not only the premiere SWAT team in the United States, but it is also the original.

Therefore, lowering the test qualifications to allow more women onto SWAT is a disservice to the people of Los Angeles, Americans in general and an insult to women law enforcement officers.

The idea to lower the test standards is to allow for a more even gender spread across SWAT.

It is a bad idea because we need the most elite persons in SWAT.

If one is ever in a crisis situation, they can be sure that the people coming to save the day have been held to the highest standard possible.

Female SWAT team members is not a bad idea. In fact, there is no policy that women are not allowed on the team.

If they can pass the same test the men have to take, then there is no problem with them being on SWAT.

It comes down to whoever can do the job, not whichever is the preferred gender.

The Los Angeles SWAT team, or Special Weapons And Tactics, was the brainchild of former Police Chief Daryl Gates.

The SWAT team has since spread across the country so that every major city has a team equipped for any emergency or crisis situation.

If the entrance standards were lowered to include women who cannot pass the test as it stands today, then when in an emergency one might have to worry that someone with less than the necessary skills will arrive and be unable to rescue him or her.

This is a situation where being politically correct and doing everything possible to allow for gender equality makes no sense.

It puts our most elite squad of law enforcement in jeopardy of losing its nationally respected status.

When standards are lowered in favor of the job maintaining its level of respect and performance, then we are living in a sad world that is less safe for all Americans.