No: Is tap water safe to drink?

California’s public water is unsafe for human consumption due to traces of chemicals and hormones, though Californians needn’t be prudent abut their tap water.

Traces of chemicals such as chlorine, a highly efficient disinfectant, are added to public water supplies to eradicate disease-causing bacteria.

The chlorine included in tap water has helped prevent the spread of cholera and other water-borne diseases, although some naturally occurring elements react with the chlorine and trihalomethanes in water, which are toxins that eventually make their way into our bodies.

Trihalomethanes have been linked to various human diseases, from asthma and eczema to bladder cancer and heart disease.

In California, there have even been traces of hormones and anti-depressants in the public water system.

To further combat potential ingestion of bacteria or toxins from water consumption, one may simply leave a container of tap water in the refrigerator uncovered for 24 hours; this will remove the chlorine.

“The solution is to clean up our lakes, rivers and streams, not just bombard our water supplies with chlorine,” Jane Houlihan, vice president for science at Environmental Workers Group, said.

While some in society stick with “designer water” or bottled water, they may be just as at risk of contracting health ailments, as 25 to 30 percent of designer water comes from the municipal water systems.

Rather than fault the companies that maintain the public water supply, society should stare itself in the mirror and realize that man has so polluted California’s bodies of water that chlorine and other such treatments to water are vital.