Commentary: Freeing Tibet and boycotting the Olympics are necessary

With tension on the rise and demands becoming more intensive, the resurging protests in Tibet’s regional capital, Lhasa, have become increasingly violent as their conflict with China worsens.

It only makes sense, however, that the Tibetan people should react negatively, as their culture has been stolen and their rights as individuals have been violated.

Riots that started March 10 caused a scramble to find a scapegoat, explicitly showing how ridiculously the matter is being handled.

Now the Dalai Lama is accused of being a “splittist,” looking to divide and to weaken the two nations by encouraging protesters to use violence and any means to achieve their goal.

While no one can really speak on the personality of one they do not know, it seems ridiculous to blame a man for acts of violence and a maniacal agenda when he’s won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Committing violence is not acceptable, but neither is beating monks on a peaceful march, nor is taking away a country’s right to rule itself and continue with its cultural practices.

The truth is obviously being masqueraded in order to grip onto an outdated ideology that is taking a brutal toll on innocent people.

Most of the Tibetan people have managed to stave off learning Mandarin for the sake of themselves, which should be highly regarded in a situation such as theirs, but now that fact is but a fallacious reason to condemn them for fighting for their own rights. ?

Most of the Tibetans supposedly allow themselves to be “manipulated” because they don’t speak Mandarin and their outcry for the return of their past is just another extremist, “ignorant” hair-brained plot.

True, while many show their support of the Tibetans, it will only lead tighter constraints against them if the Olympics continue as planned.

Many are fearful of breaking a tradition.

This is a big chance and hope for the Tibetans; other countries should consider stepping out of the games.

While it is a daring step, people need to give a voice to those who don’t have one.