Do You Use Cloth Bags?

Mena
Should we use plastic bags?
3/10/2008

1. Kimberly Gurr
Age: 21
Major: Liberal Studies
No, because I have not gone out to buy the bags. It’s something that I’m definitely considering.
2. Bisola Balogun
Age: 18
Major: Business
No, because they’re not very convenient. Plastic bags are very easy to obtain. You don’t have to remember to carry the cloth bag with you all the time.
3. Brandon Mathews
Age: 19
Major: Business/Music
No, because they’re a waste of time. I reuse plastic bags at home to store things. I think that the degree to which plastic bags harm the environment is highly exaggerated. I support using the plastic bags.
4. Josue Guevara
Age: 21
Major: Welding
No, because they are usually not made readily available. Before deciding to use cloth bags, I would first have to see what they look like and try them out. At home, we reuse the plastic bags. Most people use plastic because they’re easily accessible.
5. Derrick Torres
Age: 21
Major: Business
Yes, when they’re made available. For example, at Whole Foods, cloth bags have become the standard. The fact that plastic bags are said to be harmful to the environment would only make me use cloth bags more. The cloth bags cost money so you’re more likely to need more than one.
6. Madsu Jalam
Age: 34
Major: Business
No, because I like to use plastic bags. They’re easy to use and you can reuse them around the home. A cloth bag would have to be cleaned but the plastic bags are ready to use and very light weight. Plastic bag use is much more practical.
7. Ray Pelaez
Age: 49
Major: Political Science
No, I mostly use plastic bags. I only use vinyl bags when I have to buy many items. Plastic bags are convenient, light weight, and they can hold a lot for a short period of time. I don’t like the fact that plastic bags are not recyclable so if we want to protect the environment, vinyl or cloth bags are best alternative.
8. Tristan Blalock
Age: 19
Major: Accounting
Yes, most of the time when I have to purchase many items. I don’t mind purchasing the cloth bags because I can carry more than I can in a plastic bag. I use cloth bags all the time. You can really carry a lot if you just bag properly. They are much more than plastic bags.
9. Allen Barstow
Age: 19
Major: Theatre
No, because I don’t really know when they’re available. I would definitely use cloth bags more if I saw that they were more readily available. If a deposit system was implemented; where if you brought the cloth bag back, you can get some money back, you can exchange. That will provide incentive for people to make the transition.
10. Monica Robles
Age: 19
Major: Theatre
No, and I have some at home that I got from Trader Joe’s. The problem is one might be in a hurry at forget the cloth bags at home or in their car. It can easily slip your mind and sometimes you make the decision to shop at the very last minute. At this time something should be implemented to give people an incentive to change.
11. Jonathan Heredia
Age: 19
Major: Criminal Justice
No, I’m use to using plastic bags. Some stores don’t even suggest that there is an alternative, such as cloth bags. Cashiers should start informing customers like the old ‘paper or plastic?’ It should be ‘paper or cloth?’
12. Nicole Smith
Age: 18
Major: Registered Nurse
Yes, because they are easier to carry food in. Paper bags are not durable anymore. Most people do not dispose of the plastic bags properly. You see them in schools and on the street. I don’t know if people really care about the environment. Unless, plastics bags are removed from stores I don’t know if people will make the change voluntarily.