Union Letter: Students calls for others to respect college environment

Dear Editor:

When I think of college, I think of a number of things: a chance for people to broaden their intellectual horizons, increase clarity in defining self, work to gain understanding of the world and have meaningful exchanges with others on a similar path to enlightenment.

What I don’t picture is cell phones ringing and being answered during class lecture, students that won’t stop talking when the professor starts, class discussions that only have two participants (including the professor), students who resort to flaring emotions instead of well-stated arguments, and chronically empty seats in classrooms just after the deadline to add has passed.

Is it just me, or is something wrong with this particular manifestation of a higher learning environment?

College is, after all, a choice.

For many, it would seem a great chasm exists between the desire for financial gain and a sincere, disciplined mindset toward seeking out wisdom.

Who are we really hurting when we take self-cultivation lightly?

Let’s see. The professors already have their degrees and could opt to teach elsewhere or utilize their expertise in any number of ways, I’m sure.

We, on the other hand, are probably choosing between continuing at that dead-end job and being kicked out by our parents or pursuing a four-year degree and a bright, if only hopeful, future after graduation.

We are the ones that come to the table of El Camino College hungry. It is amazing that we can’t seem to give more respect to our benefactors in return for the meals they prepare.

How many times do I have to see a student walk up to a professor right in the middle of lecture to discuss something privately? I thought that was what office hours were for.

Then, because of this rather brazen behavior, I wonder if the professors defer to them out of sincere interest, fear of bodily harm or just pity for the mentally handicapped?

Learning is supposed to be fun as well as challenging. Still, the attitude necessary to allow learning to be fun must be provided primarily by the student.

If you don’t want to learn, who says you have to come to class at all? There are plenty of people at the mall, beach, parks, apartment complexes and eateries that would love to give you their attention and their phone numbers.

Conversely, there are plenty of students who would like to focus on improving themselves and won’t miss your antics, attitude or arrogance at all.

Arrogance is more than something that comes with antics and attitude. It is an excellent term to describe the mindset of anyone who thinks that thousands of students pay $26 per unit every semester to hear you talk to your friends in class during a lecture.

Sincerely,

William Cryer