Union Comment: No more bashing; give the media a chance to do it right

For arguably one of baseball’s greatest players, the heat was on in sunny Scottsdale, Ariz.

Reporters harangued him with questions about steroid use and all he could do was dodge left and right like a boxer trying to defend himself.

However, Barry Bonds swung back with full force to the more than 100 reporters in attendance.

“You guys are like rerunning stories,” Bonds said. “This is old stuff.”

Bonds later continued his tantrum, criticizing the media and stereotyping reporters by calling them “liars.”

Being a journalism student with aspirations of becoming part of the news media, it is hard for me to comprehend why people bash it.

Journalism has become the fuel to my heart. It’s a passion that consists of hard work and dedication, so excuse me when I take great offense to those statements made.

It’s no secret that Bonds has always had issues with the media, but it’s wrong for him to generalize the media in such a negative way.

I’ve never had a problem with Bonds, other than the fact he plays for the San Francisco Giants, which is the hated enemy to us Dodger fans.

Many athletes, including Bonds, have long accused reporters of creating stories.

However, it’s hard for me to believe that reporters would jeopardize their careers in order to manufacture a story.

Journalists have an obligation to report the truth and to ask tough questions of their sources.

Yet, not a day goes by that someone doesn’t bash the media.

Unfortunately, media bashing is everywhere, including at EC.

I have always wondered, why?

We are reporters.

It is unethical to stretch the truth in any shape or form.

My fellow peers and I have encountered several athletes, students and staff on campus who have questioned our credibility.

However, reporters are required to at least quote three sources and verify the information.

It’s a very difficult job because most people don’t want to go on the record with information that might get them in trouble with their teammates or their co-workers.

The easiest way out is to “kill the messenger,” but that’s the price we pay to be top-notch journalists.

So the next time you come across a reporter, don’t bash them until the story is completed.

Let the reporter do his or her job, and you will be suprised by how well and precise EC students are getting it done.

The public deserves a balanced and unbiased point of view, and that’s what the Union provides for its readers.