Union Comment: Jackson shouldn’t be picked on and judged by the media

He cast the audience under a spell as he moonwalked for the very first time on “Motown 25” he has inspired millions around the world with his ground-breaking music and performances, and he has impacted millions of lives with his humanitarian efforts.

It’s no trivia today to say that the world-renowned singer Michael Jackson is a living legend. However, after being charged with child molestation accusations, Jackson’s once positive and respected image has been trashed and turned into the laughing stock of many, thanks to the media and its negative portrayal of Jackson in the serious accusations that surround him.

The media’s negative portrayal of Jackson’s accusations is, in effect, where most people’s negative thoughts of Jackson come from. With shows containing tasteless comedic sketches of Jackson’s accusations, such as “South Park,” “Mad TV” and “Saturday Night Live,” it’s no wonder some people have already branded Jackson a pedophile.

When Jackson was arrested and booked on suspicion of child molestation in November of last year, Jackson’s mug shot was made notorious; it appeared on the front page of every newspaper and magazine, treating him as though he had already been convicted.

The latest uproar on Jackson’s negative portrayal involves famous rapper Eminem and one of his latest music videos, “Just Lose It.” The video shows images of Jackson’s head being lit on fire, Jackson’s nose falling off, Eminem throwing up in Jackson’s face and Jackson sitting on a bed with little boys in pajamas jumping behind him.

Eminem’s work has been praised and referred to as “cutting edge,” but really, where is the originality in his mocking Michael Jackson? It’s a tired, overused target that for some reason, people still seem to get a kick out of.

Besides, the way in which Eminem demeans Jackson is nothing to be praised for; it’s one thing to spoof, it’s quite another to demean.

The fact is, that besides the negativity to all this, there has also been an amazing show of support for Jackson’s maintained innocence by his family, friends and his die hard fans, which is something the media has done a poor job of informing.

Constant vigils and rallies are taking place across the world for Jackson, including the most recent rally which took place Nov.11 in front of the MTV studios in protest against the Eminem video.

More than 300 fans were there. Guilty or not, Jackson deserves a fair trial and he will not get one when this negative media portrayal may very well be influencing the minds of the jury hearing his case.

As for the people who have already made the decision that Jackson is guilty, remember one thing: Here in the U.S., a man is innocent until proven guilty, Michael Jackson is no exception.