Editorials

It’s bad timing for $5 Student Center fee

At Issue: The Associated Student Organization (ASO) proposed a $5 Student Center fee in order to raise an estimated $2 million.

With tuition already on the rise and the high cost of textbooks, as well as other items in our economy such as high gas prices, many students don’t have any extra money to give. In other words now is just not the time for the $5 Student Center fee.

The Associated Student Organization (ASO) proposed the Student Center fee, which would raise an estimated $2 million for the reconstruction of the Student Services Center. The Center will include the Student Activities Center, the Student Services Center and the Cafeteria.

However, building the center would not happen until 2006; the Center is already being funded by bond measure E, so the extra $2 million will just go toward better services inside.

The proposed Student Center fee will be on the ballot in the upcoming student elections starting next Friday until May 26. For the bill to pass, 3,500 students must vote and two-thirds must vote “yes.”

The idea of having better services is a good one, but without students knowing how much tuition will rise or what else may happen to increase the cost of an education, the extra $2 million should go to services that have already been cut due to the budget crisis.

It would be more logical to use the money to hire more staff or have better educational services instead of better food services or a fancier center.

EC offers equality by complying to Title IX

At Issue: Recent studies in L.A. Times reported that only 8 percent of California community colleges follow Title IX sports standards.

Faced with budget constrictions for adhering to Title IX standards, EC should be commended for abiding by Title IX standards in regard to sports.

Recent studies published by the L.A. Times reveal that only 8 percent of California community colleges are in compliance with Title IX standards. Passed in 1972, Title IX calls for equality footing in all facets regarding to gender treatment and opportunities, including sports.

In recent years, EC has added women’s badminton and women’s water polo to its program.

The Department of Education states that female athletes are less likely to drop out of school in comparison to those who are not athletes, and that 80 percent of female managers in Fortune 500 companies have a sports background.

Sports provide a great forum for interaction, where people of different ethnicities can come together to work for a common goal.

Also those who excel are presented with the opportunity to receive financial aid through scholarships aiding them even after they leave EC. Title IX adherence takes women away from the bleachers and off the sidelines where some cheerlead, and brings them onto the court where they’re able to learn invaluable lessons they can use in different aspects of life.

EC deserves credit for understanding the importance sports can play in a person’s life. While other community colleges deny women the opportunity to compete, EC has weathered the storm of budget cuts and has given women an equal footing as men.